Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

GSE&IS Resources


This is UNI Plone Theme

Business Travel

UCLA Travel Arrangements

  • UCLA Travel Arrangements
    Phone: (310) 206-2639 or (800) 235-UCLA(8252)
    Email:, website
  • Travel Reimbursements

    A. Internet Package Deals
    It is important to note that travel packages from internet vendors such as Expedia and Orbitz typically do not itemize expenses. Therefore, no business-related travel should be booked through such vendors unless the traveler confirms in advance that airfare, hotel, and rental car will be separately itemized. Travel packages that are not itemized will not be reimbursed.

    B. Rental Car Information
    Please use UCLA's preferred car rental company (currently Hertz & National) according to University policy. Do not take the additional collision damage waiver (CDW), as the UCLA negotiated rate includes this coverage. Any additional insurance purchased is not reimbursable and will be at the cost of the traveler. To learn more about renting a car while conducting University business, please refer to the University’s Rental Car Agreements.

    C. Meals and Lodging Expenses (Domestic)
    University regulations governing reimbursement of food and lodging expenses while traveling for business are based on various requirements, including the Internal Revenue Service, the State of California, and federal funding agencies.

    In addition to the general guidelines provided below, see the article "Expense Coverage Outside the U.S." for specific information on per diem funding for overseas travel and "Guidelines for Infrequent Travelers" for a reference to basic travel considerations.

    Subsistence for travelers on University business are reimbursed based on actual costs with original receipts:
    • University policy does not require receipts less than $75. GSE&IS best practices require original receipts for all expenses because reimbursements are based on actual expenses. Please note this is not a per diem.

    • Original receipts are required for meal and incidental expenses claimed under the travel policy. The meal and incidental expense maximum is $64/day and is not to be treated as a per diem, and there is no exception to the maximum. If meal receipts are lost or unavailable, the traveler may provide their best estimate of the actual meal expense.

    • Partial reimbursement for a trip in excess of twelve (12) hours but less than twenty-four (24) hours is limited. Travelers cannot be reimbursed for meal expenses incurred while they are on travel status for twelve or fewer hours.

    • Expenses for meals incurred by employees who hold working business meetings while traveling on University business are reimbursable in accordance with the University's policy on Entertainment, Business and Finance Bulletin BUS-79. Working business meetings held while traveling require the same documentation as other business meeting expense.

    D. Subsistence Rates (Federal)
    Trip of 24 hours or more = $64/day maximum
    Trip of less than 24 hours is not reimbursable unless the travel includes an overnight stay as verified by a lodging receipt.

    E. Lodging expenses are reimbursed on the following terms:
    • Reimbursement is based on the amount actually incurred for reasonable accommodations.
    • Original, itemized receipts for all lodging expenses as well as any working meeting expenditures included in the lodging claim are required for reimbursement.
    • Lodging is generally not reimbursable if the lodging site is within a 50-mile radius of the traveler's residence or office.
    • When non-commercial facilities such as cabins, house trailers, vans, field camping equipment, or other such facilities are used, the traveler shall be reimbursed a daily amount based on an estimate of actual expenses up to 55% of the applicable federal per diem rate for the appropriate geographic area.

    F. Exemption from Occupancy Tax
    As a general rule, University employees traveling on official University business are exempt from payment of occupancy taxes imposed by certain California cities or counties on "transient" (or individual travelers') rental rooms. To avoid misunderstandings, travelers should identify themselves as University employees and claim exemption from the tax when checking into the hotel. However, occupancy tax ordinances in a few California cities do not authorize exemptions for University employees. The traveler may complete an exemption certificate if one is required. Transient Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate for Governmental Agencies.

    G. Mileage Rates
    The current mileage reimbursement rate is 50 cents per mile for use of a personal car on business travel. Personal gas is not reimbursable if the traveler is asking for mileage reimbursement. Mileage reimbursement from home to the airport is allowable. Round trip mileage is for local travel calculated from the Point of Origin to the destination, less normal commute miles.

    H. Foreign Currency Conversion Rates

    I. Travel Advances
    Travel advances are normally granted to Graduate Students with limited appointments or to faculty/staff as an exception only for trips in excess of thirty days. More information is provided at here.

    J. UCLA Express
    This is UCLA’s online system for processing travel and working meeting reimbursements.
    Click here to access system.

    K. University Travel Policy

    L. Travel Insurance
    Travel accident insurance benefits are available for employees traveling on official University business and for students traveling off campus for activities that are sponsored and supervised by the University. In addition to typical coverage for accidental death and dismemberment, the policy includes coverage for emergency medical evacuation, out-of-country medical expenses, loss of personal effects, security extraction and repatriation of remains.

    The carrier, ACE USA, is highly rated and provides insurance products and services throughout the U.S. and around the world. In addition, ACE works with iJet Intelligent Risk Systems to provide travelers with practical destination intelligence and real-time travel alerts.

    M. GSE&IS Travel Reimbursement Forms